Steamed Mussels & Peppers Recipe
Steamed Mussels & Peppers
- 2 pounds fresh mussels
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 3 tsp garlic, minced
- 230 ml clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional clam juice
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red & yellow peppers
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tblsp minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Baguette bread, sliced, optional
1. Tap mussels to ensure they close and discard any that do not close. Set aside in a bowl with paper towel at the bottom.
2. In a large frying pan or skillet, saute jalapeno in oil until tender and then add garlic.
3. After a minute, stir in the clam juice, wine, red & yellow peppers, green onions, oregano and bay leaf.
4. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, then add mussels. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mussels open. Discard bay leaf and any unopened mussels.
5. Sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper. Serve with baguette slices if desired.
Try using gloves when cutting hot peppers to avoid skin irritations. Serve with a pasta dish or as an appetizer. Mussels have a distinctive sweet taste like a mix between oysters and clams. They add flavour and nutrients to your seafood dishes like soups and pastas.